Fredricks journal chapter 3: Lurking in the dark
What Gregor had said about the sea was spot on. Thick very dark green sludge. It had nothing to do with the seas i had read and heard about. Here and there i saw bubbles coming up from the liquid. It was a depressing sight to see, so i turned inlands and west.
A day later i heard shoots fired. My curiosity took hold of me as i slowly made my way up a hill to see better. When i hit the top i saw the fight. It was Gregor corned by three lurkers.
Lurkers are mutants. There is a saying about them. It goes like this " The only one that really can trust a lurker is another lurker". And it's true they are sneaky. I have seen them before as a scout but never been in a fight with them. They are enemy's to both sloggerna and skinners They often prefer their caves, that they dig in the ground and hills.
I had to help him. He was in cover behind a rock, and the lurkers closing in on him. I carefully got in position and fired. They froze a couple of seconds when they saw one of their own fall to the gound. Now they were in the crossfire. They tried to flee, when Gregor got one of them as they ran. The last one got away.

I made my way down to Gregor.
- You did not waste any time returning a favor i see. he said
- No i guess not. Are you ok. I asked
- I'm fine but we need to get away from here. They will come back, and in greater numbers. Will you come with me to our camp? He asked.
Of course i accepred the invitation. I don't wanna meet them alone. After some time Gregor said we're not alone.
- It's a scout. He will led them to us
- Should we stay and fight?
- No let's move quickly. So we reach the camp before it's dark. They will not attack until it's dark.
- Why? I asked
- They have great sight in darkness, that will give them an upper hand. Plus that they are probably more in numbers that us.
We reach the camp just as the sun disappeared. There were a dog and 8 skinners, including Gregor in the camp. Gregor told their chief what had happend. He pointed at me and looked cold at me. I felt when we enterd the camp, that they weren't to happy to see me. The chife walked over to me, with Gregor at his side. After he had given orders to the others, to prepare for a fight.
- Gregor say that you are good, for being a city dweller. You even saved his life , as he saved yours. I only nodded in reply.
- I have never trusted any city dweller, but you will stay here and fight with us. And we see what i say afterwards. Go now, prepare for battle.
Later that night came the attack.
The battle started as the dog smelld the lurkers and starts barking.

All in the camp starts moving towards the enemy. Many of the lurkers stops temporary. But some are able to pin down two skinners.
They kill one and wound the other. Another climbs a mountain to get a better view.
The skinner chief goes to attack but misses his shoot.
The shaman moves forward to help the wounded skinner, and kills one lurker.
Gregor fires at an enemy. He misses his first shoot, but kills him with his second one.
The skinners keep pushing forward, and wound a lurker. Another skinner shoots and misses. The wounded skinner gets up and wounds a lurker.
The lurkers hold their ground and kills one skinner. One lurker succeeds in killing the shaman.
The skinner chief goes on a killing spree. Shooting one, and cutting down another.
Another one gets a lurker wounded. The lurkers freezes, except for one wounded that gets up. Both the dog and i move forward. But it's Gregor that gets another kill, when he takes out the lurkers leader.
They are shocked with their leader dead. Two decide to flee, But one gets killed and the other one is down wounded and needs to get up first. The remaning ones fight as good as they can and take out another skinner.
now it's the skinners that freeze. The lurkers take the opportunity to get the wounded on it's feet. He succeeds in fleeing now when he's able. They also wound the dog.
The skinners move in. Gregor hits one, but it's not leathal. Instead he gets up and kills Gregor.
This looks bad, but it gets worse when the chief is killed.
But no one on the skinner side backs down, it's victory or death. The dog is back on it's feet, and takes out one. And one of the remaining skinners kill one. Only one lurker left. He shoots one skinner
I move in, shoot and wound him. He gets up but the remaning skinner shoots him.
The battle is over. I look around at all dead bodies. The skinner is attending the dogs wound. I make my way over to them. It's so quiet now. I really don't know what to say Gregor is dead and so many more. When he is done with the dog he look at me. like nearly all skinners, his face is as hard as stone. But i can still feel his sorrow, for all his dead tribes men.
- I'm sorry. Let me help you bury the dead. I say
He still don't show any emotions, but nods and reach out his arm for me to help him to his feet. We start to gather the dead.
To be continued
Comments
Post a Comment